Skip to main content

Collection on McCormick Theological Seminary

 Collection
Identifier: MSS0023

Scope and Contents

The McCormick Theological Seminary Collection contains publications, newspaper clippings, correspondence, maps, ephemera, and photographs related to the history of the McCormick Theological Seminary.

Dates

  • 1893-1995

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use.

Biographical / Historical

The McCormick Theological Seminary Collection is primarily a product of the research and work completed by Elizabeth Ware, a 1998 graduate of DePaul's Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program. Ware purchased one of the 1880s row houses sold by McCormick Seminary in 1975 and was inspired to research her home and neighborhood as part of her graduate program. In 1998 Ware prepared an exhibition titled "Within the Wrought Iron Fence: The Hidden Heritage of McCormick Theological Seminary." Materials from the Lincoln Park Collection and DePaul University Archives were added to Ware's original donation. McCormick Theological Seminary was founded in Hanover, Indiana in 1829 as the Indiana Theological Seminary. Lured to Chicago in 1859 by Cyrus H. McCormick's substantial gift of $100,000, the seminary relocated and changed its name to the Presbyterian Seminary of the Northwest. The seminary started building on a plot of land on the south side of Fullerton Avenue which was donated by Joseph Sheffield and William Ogden in 1863. In 1886 the seminary was renamed to honor the McCormick family who continued to financially support the institution's building program through the 1920s. The institution experienced another name change in 1928 due to a request made by the McCormick family. For fifteen years the institution was known as the Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Chicago until the McCormick family gave permission to change the name back to McCormick Theological Seminary in 1943. In 1957 the Seminary embarked on a new building plan for the campus which called for the demolition of many of the Victorian era buildings. The Seminary made the decision to move from its Lincoln Park location and put the property up for sale in 1974. Although it wanted to sell the property in one parcel, McCormick Theological Seminary agreed to sell the row houses on Belden, Fullerton, and Chalmers Place to the Seminary Townhouse Association (STA) in 1975. DePaul University purchased the east and west ends of the Seminary campus in 1976 and 1977.

Extent

2 Linear Feet (6 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is organized into three series: 1. Publications; 2. Administrative Files; 3. Photographs. See series-level descriptions for individual arrangement details.

Physical Location

3/34/F; 3/44/D

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Liz Ware, Accession 2015.062; Donated by Fr. Edward Udovic. Accession records were not completed at the time of the various donations, including ephemera transferred by Fr. Edward Udovic.

Processing Information

C. Kidney 2004

Title
Guide to Collection on McCormick Theological Seminary
Status
Completed
Author
C. Kidney 2004
Date
2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the DePaul Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
John T. Richardson Library
2350 N. Kenmore Ave.
Room 314
Chicago Illinois 60614
773-325-7864