Venceremos Brigade research collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of subject files and serial publications divided into subseries and arranged alphabetically: Castro Speeches, Communications, Cuba: General Information, Cuba: International Affairs, Local Politics (Chicago), Cuban Economy, Cuban Foreign Relations, Cuban History, Culture, Education, Foreign Debt Crisis, Health Care, Homosexuality, Housing, Human Rights, Immigration, International Politics, Labor in Cuba/USA, Lobbying And Legislation, Miscellaneous, Miscellaneous Articles, Newsletters, Peacenet, People, Prisons, Racism, Religious Studies, Sports, US/Cuba Relations, US Domestic Policy, US Foreign Relations, Venceremos, and Women. The books deposited with this collection have been cataloged and are available to use in the Special Collections and Archives Department Reading Room.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Biographical / Historical
The Venceremos Brigade (VB), a New York based national organization, was established to increase awareness of the merits of the Castro regime in Cuba. The bulk of the Venceremos Brigade Research Collection (VBRC) contains reference files on a variety of subjects. The files are primarily photocopies of magazine and journal articles, newspaper articles, pamphlets, position papers, and flyers. The VBRC does not contain the files of the organization or any information about specific members of the VB.
42.25 Linear Feet (80 boxes)
Language of Materials
The VBRC is divided into two series: 1. Subject Files; 2. Serial Publications. The subject names, file folder titles, and arrangement of the collection (alphabetical) replicates the organization system used by the Venceremos Brigade. Serial Publications are also arranged alphabetically, with newspapers in oversized boxes at the end of the collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Pat Gleason, Accession 1995.24; Donated by Felix Masud-Piloto, Accession 2013.41
B. Muza and D. Lynn-Zaffron 1995
- Communism--Cuba Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Cuba--History--1959-1990 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Cuba--Politics and government--1959-1990 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Radicalism--United States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- United States--Relations--Cuba Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to Venceremos Brigade research collection
- B. Muza and D. Lynn-Zaffron 1995
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English