Vanessa Gelvin zine collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is composed of Gelvin's thesis, ephemera that she collected, and zines. The categories of zines are art, comic, cultural, erotica, literary, music, personal, resource, social/political, special interest, and women’s issues. Certain personal zines have socio-political, literary, or cultural themes and issues, but are designated as personal because they are created by one author. For example, two zines, "Constipation" and an untitled zine, are categorized as personal but deal with the issue of prison. Some personal zines include artwork and/or stories by more than one author, but are designated as personal because their subject is only one person. The vast majority of these zines were created in or after the year 2000.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Vanessa Gelvin is the author of a thesis entitled "Do-It-Yourself, Do-It-Together: Culture and Community in Chicago’s Zine Scene," which she completed as part of her Bachelor of Arts degree program at Knox College. During 2005 and 2006, she collected zines created in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, which she used to research her thesis.
1.5 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection begins with Gelvin's thesis and the ephemera she collected during the course of her research. The zines follow these files, and are arranged alphabetically by zine category and then by individual title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
E. Boden 2006
- Anarchism in art--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Anarchist artists--Illinois--Archives Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Fan magazines--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Press and politics--Archival resources--United States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Underground periodicals--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Underground press publications--Archival resources--United States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Zines--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to Vanessa Gelvin zine collection
- E. Boden 2006
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English