Barat College Archives
- Majority of material found within 1960-2001
- Barat College (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Founded by the Sisters of the Sacred Heart in 1858, Barat College began as the Barat Academy for Young Women. In 1904, the school moved to its Lake Forest campus, where it was chartered as a four-year women's college in 1918. In the 1950s, the Lower School separated from the College and became Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart. The Order of the Sacred Heart turned over control of the college to a secular Board of Trustees in 1969. Throughout the 1970s, Barat developed its emphasis on the arts, including pioneering programs in dance and theater. In 1982, it began admitting male students. In questionable financial condition, Barat College formed an educational alliance with DePaul University, becoming Barat College of DePaul University in 2001. It ceased operations on June 30, 2005.
47.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Organized into five series: 1. Administrative files; 2. Academic files; 3. Publications; 4. Buildings; 5. Photographs;
Arrangement specific to each series.
- Catholic learning and scholarship--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Catholic universities and colleges--Archival resources--Illinois Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to Barat College Archives
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English