Collection on DePaul University Buildings
Scope and Contents
This collection comprises materials ranging from original documents to compiled histories. Mixed throughout are correspondence, contracts and legal documents, reports and meeting minutes, architects’ specifications and drawings, financial data (including valuations, purchases, and estimates), fund-raising efforts, and current publicity.Also included is some financial and legal information relating to the DePaul Educational Aid Society (owner of the 64 E. Lake St. building), various estates, and other legal matters. Topics covered include nutsand-bolts construction, renovations and repairs, and general building maintenance.
- Majority of material found within 1950-2003
- DePaul University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
22 Linear Feet (53 boxes including 7 oversized)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into eight series: 1. Planning; 2. Blueprints; 3. Administrative; 4. Lincoln Park Campus; 5. Loop Campus; 6. Suburban Campus; 7. Oversized Building Documents; 8. Additional Structures.
3/15/E-G, 3/44/C; 4th floor; digital
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession 1991.36; 1991.52; 1992.39; 1993.20; 2012.03; 2014.038; 2014.040; 2014.060; 2014.085; 2015.024; 2015.035; 2016.078; 2019.014. The materials in the Buildings collection came to the Archives from at least five sources. The greatest proportion were part of the Vincentian administrators' collection (Accession 1990.40), mostly comprising the papers of Rev. Comerford J. O'Malley, C.M., President of the University from 1944-1964. This Vincentian collection also contained records from the Revs. John R. Cortelyou (President, 1964-1981), Edward J. Kammer, Theodore J. Wangler, Albert L. Dundas, and Daniel J. McHugh, C.M. Earlier acquisitions of materials were given to the Archives by Rev. Patrick Mullins, C.M., and included materials collected or written by Rev. Daniel McHugh, C.M., former university archivist. Information on the College Theatre was compiled by Dr. Sally Chappell of the Department of Art, and historical references to the 64 E. Lake St. building were collected by student Kevin Lee Sarring. Archives staff prepared chronologies of buildings and copies of information in the DePaulian and other university publications. Records pertaining to property acquisitions during the 1980s and 1990s were extracted from the files of the Vice-President for Business and Finance. In 2016, materials related to the Ray Meyer Fitness and Recreation Center were removed from Series 004 to form their own collection associated with the building (DPUA0084).
L. Geiger 2016; J. Casey 2017; revised by P. Chavez 2018; P. Chavez 2019
- Catholic universities and colleges--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- University records Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to Collection on DePaul University buildings
- L. Geiger 2016; J. Casey 2017; revised by P. Chavez 2018; P. Chavez 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English