Skip to main content

DePaul University School of Music records

 Collection
Identifier: DPUA0005

Scope and Contents

The collection includes brochures for programs and workshops, advertisements, press clippings, press releases, convocation and commencement materials, correspondence and memoranda, curriculum planning documents, reports, photographs, and performance posters. It also features programs from concerts, recitals, and faculty and student workshops, as well as physical and digital newsletters and magazines produced by the School of Music.

Dates

  • 1913-2018

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use.

Biographical / Historical

DePaul's School of Music was launched as the College of Music in 1912 by Walter Keller. By 1913, DePaul's program expanded to emphasize teacher training that met the Chicago Board of Education requirements and began to offer a summer program designed to enable women to qualify for a baccalaureate degree. In 1922 an organist from St. Vincent DePaul Church, Arthur Becker, became Dean. He changed the name to the School of Music and enlarged the programs and staff. As a result, DePaul was the first Catholic music school to gain membership to the National Association of Schools of Music in the early 1930s. Leon Stein, a student of Becker, would spend forty-seven years as a faculty member and then as Dean (1966-1976) during a time of tremendous growth for the school. In 1957 DePaul attained affiliation with the Pontifical Institute in Rome for the Sacred Music Program. In the 1960s, courses were offered in the study of jazz and an electronic music studio was added. By 1986, numerous students from DePaul had performed nationally and internationally. Four members of the popular band Chicago were graduates of the School of Music. The fourth Dean, Fred Miller, (1975-1995) reached out to the local community through the Community Music Division and continued to establish the school's national reputation by recruiting renowned professional musicians and academics for its faculty. In 1986 alumnus George Perle was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in Music. Dean Don Casey (1995-2014) expanded services as part of the Community Music Division to include instruction to underprivileged children in Lawndale and initiated the annual “Christmas at DePaul” community holiday concert. In 2008, the School of Music had a faculty of 110 professional musicians, ensembles for orchestra, jazz, and choral, and offers programs in Performance, Composition, Jazz Studies, Music Education, Performing Arts Management, and Sound Recording Technology.

Extent

9 Linear Feet (22 boxes; 1 oversize)

0.01 Gigabytes

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The collection is organized into six series: 1. History & Background; 2. Administrative; 3. Performances; 4. Photographs & Memorabilia; 5. Publicity; 6. Publications. Most series are arranged alphabetically by topic, then chronologically. See individual series level descriptions for additional details. Oversize items from several series collected in Box 21.

Physical Location

3/18/G; digital

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Accession 1987.11; 1988.8; 1993.9; 1995.41; 2005.18; 2008.06; 2011.12; 2012.36; 2012.37; 2013.12; 2013.18; 2013.30; 2013.73; 2014.096; 2014.083; 2014.054; 2015.023; 2016.098; 2016.056. The collection includes materials from the files of the School of Music, the Office of the Vice President, Dean of Faculties covering the tenure of both Dr. Patricia Ewers and her predecessor, Father Richardson. These items are combined with materials donated by Leon Stein and Fred Miller, both former deans of the School of Music, and slides from the Office of Administration. Other accessions have been transferred to the archives by Pat Mikos.

Related Materials

Leon Stein papers; Faculty Biographies; Theatre at DePaul records; University Photographs collection; Dean Don Casey papers

Processing Information

L. Geiger 2017; P. Chavez 2019; revised by P. Chavez 2019

Title
Guide to DePaul University School of Music records
Status
Completed
Author
P. Chavez
Date
2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English

Repository Details

Part of the DePaul Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
John T. Richardson Library
2350 N. Kenmore Ave.
Room 314
Chicago Illinois 60614
773-325-7864