Grant Park Cultural and Educational Community records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, photographs, publicity, reports, and publications created by or related to GPCEC or the many civic organizations it partnered with in Chicago. Some of these other organizations include the Mayor's office, the Burnham Park Planning Board, Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), and the Greater State Street Council. The collection also contains documentation of various issues the GPCEC was involved with, including the expansion of McCormick Place, the CTA Culture Bus, and the proposal for a Central Area Circulator to provide additional public transportation options in Chicago.
- Majority of material found within 1985-1992
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Biographical / Historical
The Grant Park Cultural and Educational Community (GPCEC) was formed in 1985 by DePaul University, Roosevelt University, Columbia College, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and the Field Museum to improve the image of and bring attention to the cultural opportunities in the Grant Park area. Susan Aaron served as the Executive Director of the GPCEC.
11 Linear Feet (24 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into three series: 1. GPCEC; 2. Civic Organizations; 3. Oversized Materials. Each series is arranged alphabetically by topic, document type, or organization, and then chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Civic improvement--History--Illinois--Chicago--Sources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Grant Park (Chicago, Ill.)--History--Sources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Parks--Archival resources--Illinois--Chicago Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Recreation areas--History--Illinois--Chicago--Sources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to Grant Park Cultural and Educational Community records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English