1999 Parliament of the World's Religions in Cape Town records
Scope and Contents
The 1999 Parliament of the World’s Religions in Cape Town records document the planning process as well as the event’s programs, sessions, and participants. The bulk of the collection consists of publications, planning documents, fundraising materials, and publicity items. Records also include photographs, memorabilia, and materials about ongoing initiatives inspired by the parliament.
- Majority of material found within 1998-1999
- Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Biographical / Historical
In cooperation with its partners in South Africa, the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religion's hosted the second modern day Parliament of the World's Religion's in Cape Town, South Africa in December 1999. According to CPWR’s website, the 1999 Parliament attracted 7000 individuals from over 80 countries. Participants were invited to attend any of the 860 workshops, performances, lectures, panel discussions, and meditation sessions. Participants were also encouraged to attend evening plenary sessions led by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, and other religions, civic, governmental, and educational activities. At the 1999 Parliament the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religion's presented a new document, “A Call to Our Guiding Institutions,” addressed to religion, government, business, education, and media.
7 Linear Feet (23 boxes)
Language of Materials
The 1999 Parliament of the World’s Religions in Cape Town records are arranged into 17 series based on the content or format of the documents: 1. General information and correspondence; 2. General; 3. Parliament publications; 4. Outside publications; 5. Newspaper clippings; 6. Magazines; 7. Brochures; 8. Publicity; 9. Biographies; 10. Attendees; 11. Administration; 12. Fundraising; 13. Parliament planning; 14. Ongoing initiatives; 15. K. DeGraff personal files; 16. Oversize publications; 17. Oversize photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession 1998.32; 2000.18; 2000.43; 2003.07; 2004.33
- Peace--Religious aspects--Congresses--Archival resources. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Religion and ethics--Congresses--Archival resources. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Religions--Congresses--Archival resources. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to 1999 Parliament of the World's Religions in Cape Town records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English