Bill Hargate papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes biographical documents, awards, and articles, playbills, photographs, set sketches, costume design sketches, reviews, and clippings from various staged performances and television productions with which Bill Hargate was involved.
- circa 1940-2003
- Hargate, Bill (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Bill Hargate was an award-winning costume designer for stage and screen. Born in 1935, he attended the Goodman School of Drama at the Art Institute of Chicago from 1953-1958. In the early part of his career in the 1960s, he designed costumes for many productions at the St Louis Municipal Opera. He moved to Hollywood in the late 1960's, where he worked throughout his career in the NBC studios at Burbank and designed for many well-known TV personalities and numerous stage and television productions. He won four Emmys for his costume work, including one for his work as designer for the television series "Murphy Brown." Bill Hargate died in September 2003.
37 Linear Feet (56 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into three categories: 1. Biographical information; 2. Designs and Productions; 3. Oversize. Consult each series for individual arrangement details.
3/39/C; 3/44/G-H; 4/7/A-B
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Costume design--Archival resources--United States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Costume design--Specimens Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Costume designers--United States--Archives Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Hargate, Bill
- Theaters--Stage-setting and scenery--Archival resources Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Guide to Bill Hargate papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the DePaul Special Collections and Archives Repository
John T. Richardson Library
2350 N. Kenmore Ave.
Chicago Illinois 60614